Wednesday 24 July 2013

Typewriter update ii

A quick update on the typewriter.

I've built the keyboard keys and the struts that support them.  Oddly - to my eyes - there's no '1' key!  This seems to have been a flagrant oversight.  These have all been extremely simple, the keys almost all being exactly the same, while their supporting struts are broadly similar throughout.

The black colour is just to make the keys easier to distinguish.
The hammers which stamp the ribbon to produce a letter on the page have, on the other hand, been a battle:


It's not immediately obvious, but this structure is extremely complex.  The 'base' the hammers sit in describes a curve.  The hammers themselves each rotate slightly as they get to to the periphery; lastly, the keyheads themselves rotate.

All of this together is incredibly complicated to construct.  It's only thanks to my wife that I was able to crack the nut - I had been trying to work out a way to build this as you see it now - from above, taking into account all of the angles.  Wife - brilliant, as always - pointed out that the hammers are not as complex as I'd first though they were and, instead of building them on a slant, I should build them as if they were.  That led to my finally working out how to make this structure.  Nearly finished:



In the image above I have accidentally orientated the hammers the wrong way round; however, I hope it's relatively clear.  I need to figure out how to rotate the hammer-heads correctly and I will be able to slot this into place.  Each hammer is an individual piece meaning that, in theory, I could animate the typewriter such that a keypress triggered a hammer-press.  Fun stuff!

Tomorrow we are taking the photographs into which we will be compositing our objects.  This means I am bringing the typewriter in, to get a good reference photo of it in situ.  A fellow student is modelling old camera of mine, so I will be heavily laden down!  

I'll post another update soon detailing this week's lessons - on Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment